Terms & Conditions
The Chief Minister and Cabinet Directorate (CMCD) expects and welcomes contributions that stimulate debate and discussion or that reflect the diverse range of perspectives, experiences and imaginations of its audiences. While encouraging vigorous debate and critique, we expect all participants to treat each other with respect and courtesy.
While the CMCD aims to provide balanced coverage of issues in the content we produce, commission or acquire, user contributions to interactive services reflect the views of the participants. From time to time, one particular side of the debate may dominate views expressed. This simply reflects the natural flow of contributions we receive. The CMCD endeavours to give all users a fair opportunity to participate.
The CMCD does not endorse the views or material contained in users' contributions.
You may contribute to CMCD Online Community and interactive services subject to the following terms and conditions. These conditions apply to any content contributed in any format to any platforms hosted or facilitated by the CMCD. The CMCD may change the Conditions of Use from time to time, at the CMCD's sole discretion.
1. Registration and Login Names
1.1 In order to submit content or to utilise certain CMCD services, you may be required to apply for registration to establish an account with the CMCD.
1.2 The CMCD generally recommends that applicants register online using a pen name or pseudonym as their login name (not their real name). You should be aware that your posted comments or other submissions can remain online indefinitely and may be found through search engines or online archives. Users must not impersonate another living person or registered user.
1.3 When registering, a genuine email address must be provided. In some cases, you may be asked to provide your real name or other identifying or contact details, such as where a survey is submitted.
1.4 In general, consent is required from a parent or guardian before a child can register with, or submit content to, an CMCD interactive service that is designed for or likely to appeal to young children.
1.5 The CMCD may refuse registration of users whose suggested login names are considered inappropriate. Grounds for refusal may include:
- 1.5.1 offensive content;
- 1.5.2 obscenity;
- 1.5.3 abuse;
- 1.5.4 defamatory content;
- 1.5.5 contempt;
- 1.5.6 incitement;
- 1.5.7 copyright infringement;
- 1.5.8 brand names or registered trademarks;
- 1.5.9 company or organisation names;
- 1.5.10 names of high-profile or public figures; or
- 1.5.11 names promoting political, religious, social or economic issues.
1.6 The CMCD reserves the right to refuse suggested login names at its sole discretion.
1.7 The CMCD will not accept any registration that the CMCD suspects is being made by or on behalf of a member who has been suspended for repeated violation of these conditions of use.
2. Passwords and Security
2.1 As a registered user of the CMCD's interactive services, you may receive or establish one or more passwords. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your password(s).
2.2 Accordingly, you understand and agree you are fully responsible for all actions and submissions made from your account.
2.3 If you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account, you should notify the CMCD immediately.
3. Termination of Account
3.1 You can close your account with the CMCD at any time by unsubscribing, where that option is available to you, or by notifying the CMCD. You should note, however, that your contributions may still be available on the CMCD interactive service after your account has been closed.
3.2 If the CMCD reasonably believes you have breached these Conditions of Use, the CMCD reserves the right to restrict access to or terminate your account, with or without notice, and without any liability to you.
4. User Participation
4.1 Children's contributions should be supervised by an adult.
4.2 You may be held legally responsible for the content you submit to the CMCD's interactive services.
4.3 All material published on the CMCD's interactive services is at the CMCD's sole discretion.
4.4 Your contribution may be edited, removed or not published if the CMCD considers it to be:
- 4.4.1 defamatory, or otherwise unlawful or that it violates laws regarding harassment, discrimination, racial vilification, privacy or contempt;
- 4.4.2 intentionally false or misleading;
- 4.4.3 an infringement of intellectual property rights or copyright. See below for further information on copyright;
- 4.4.4 abusive, offensive or obscene;
- 4.4.5 inappropriate, off topic, repetitive or vexatious. For example the CMCD reserves the right to reject contributions that have been widely canvassed in the forum. It also reserves the right to reject contributions from participants who seek to dominate the discussion;
- 4.4.6 compromising the privacy of yourself, other contributors or of CMCD staff, or containing inappropriate personal information;
- 4.4.7 seeking to endorse commercial products or activities or to unduly promote commercial products or services;
- 4.4.8 seeking to directly solicit donations;
- 4.4.9 deliberate provocation of other community members;
- 4.4.10 a posting on behalf of a suspended member. This may lead to you also having your membership locked or terminated.
4.5 The CMCD reserves the right to archive and republish all contributions to its interactive services across all platforms.
4.6 The CMCD reserves the right to use contributions for internal training purposes.
4.7 Participation conditions may vary across CMCD interactive services. Specific guidelines can be found on the front page of each.
4.8 Repeated breaches of these Conditions of Use may cause the CMCD to complain to the Internet Service Provider of the person responsible, and in very serious cases, initiate legal action.
5.1 The CMCD publishes links to external sites at its sole discretion, including links posted by users subject to the moderation statement of any interactive service.
5.2 The CMCD is not responsible for, and does not endorse, the content on external sites.
5.3 The CMCD reserves the right to remove user-posted links for any reason, at any time, with or without notice to the user. Links may be deleted where, for instance, they are not editorially justified or are unsuitable for the likely audience.